Villa 1-2 Liverpool. Nov 2nd.

It took me a month to write this, I was coming out in cold sweats and a rash each time I tried. Some games leave you traumatised and this is one of them, the closest pain I’ve experienced since Villa surrendered a two goal lead against Blues a decade ago. This defeat switched me off football for a week, I didn’t watch or listen to any of it, and even now I’m getting the shivers. I will make this brief.

Liverpool are the current European champions and have won every game this season except for one, which they drew. To say we were underdogs would be something of an understatement, so to be in the lead with five minutes remaining, then emerge from the game with nothing, was chastening to say the least. After we took the lead Liverpool had a goal disallowed for a narrow offside, our first VAR success of a season which has seen us on the wrong end of several, and were piling on the pressure. We stood firm, but then conceded on 85 minutes, and there and then you knew there’d be only one outcome. Sure enough, eons into added time, we caved in to the inevitable Liverpool winner and that was that.

My disappointment was both in myself and the team. First, I’d allowed myself to believe we might win once we reached 85 minutes (such breathtaking folly) and second, I’d been let down once again by Villa’s infuriating brittleness. Our lack of backbone is pathetic sometimes, we capitulate under any kind of pressure and if our opposition aren’t pressuring us we manage to pressure ourselves, losing possession in daft areas, slashing at clearances, exhibiting no composure whatsoever.

This defeat was gutting. I have no more to say on the matter. I’m off for a lie down.




Comments

Popular Posts