Crystal Palace 1-0 Villa. Aug 31st

Where do you start with this one? We played very poorly and on balance deserved our 0-1 defeat but the heartbreak and injustice of the final minute was hard to take. Grealish lays on the ‘equaliser’ for Lansbury to score only to be penalised for a ‘dive’ that never was, television footage clearly proving his innocence. We were robbed a draw and in this league every single point is priceless.

But to blame the referee would be churlish, in truth we deserved nothing from a game we barely turned up to and you’re severely handicapped when players (Trezeguet) get themselves sent off for ludicrous challenges. Palace should have been home and hosed long before the final minute farrago and some of Villa’ players really need to step out of the shadows by the time we return from the international break. It’s naivety that’s costing us to my mind, and a lack of belief. We’ve got the ability and the energy and strength, but I wonder if the players are a little star struck in the Premiership. I know I am.

The highlights below show the sorry tale. For my part I listened to Radio 5 updates while sat indoors, cowering from the pouring Aberdeenshire rain. At the final whistle I felt like going out and standing in it, three points from our opening four fixtures find us third from bottom.


Comments

Popular Posts