Crewe in the cup

The League Cup draw this week has pitched us against Crewe Alexandra and, essential to long distance supporters like me, we’re playing away from home so there’s a strong possibility Sky will broadcast the game, hoping for a giant killing with which to entertain the nation. Had we been at home I doubt the fixture would’ve reached their radar but they lick their lips at cup upset possibilities so I expect the Gresty Road location will persuade them to screen it.

I remember when Villa played at Crewe in the 80s under the first Graham Taylor reign, we were two down at halftime when Taylor told the players “you got yourselves into this mess, now get yourselves back out of it” which they duly did, triumphing 3-2. See here....

The early rounds throw up plenty of surprises with Premiership clubs fielding weakened sides, but Villa selecting a changed lineup would suit me, a chance to see some more of the new recruits. I’m still acclimatising to this revamped squad but I’m hoping the brilliance of certain individuals might drive their names to the forefront of my mind. Engels looks the cream of the crop so far, a Laursenesque central defender, and if his legacy turns out to be half as good as Laursen’s we’ll have secured ourselves a hero.

Comments

Popular Posts